Hurricane Ida Recovery Update

Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Debris Removal

  • To date, more than 816,000 Cubic Yards has been collected in St. John Parish and over 14,800 loads hauled.
  • For questions related to Hurricane debris on state roadways, you can call the DOTD hotline at 800-950-2732.

No change from previous update.


  • The deadline to apply for federal disaster assistance from FEMA is 11/29/21.
  • Apply by calling 1-800-621-3362; TTY: 1-800-462-7585, through the FEMA Mobile App, at, or In-person at the Disaster Recovery Centers (Edgard Library Parking Lot & Garyville Library Parking Lot from 9a-5p M-SAT)

NOTE: The FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers will remain open on Veterans Day.


  • The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) is offering low-interest disaster loans to non-farm businesses of all sizes, private nonprofits, homeowners and renters who suffered losses caused by Hurricane Ida. Application Deadline is Nov. 29th.Types of loans available are:– Homeowners: up to $200,000 to repair or replace real estate damage and up to $40,000 to replace personal property.– Renters: up to $40,000 to repair or replace personal property.– Businesses – Property Damage: up to $2,000,000 to repair or replace real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory and other assets that were damaged or destroyed (available to businesses of any size and private, non-profit organizations).– Economic Injury: only for small businesses and most private non-profit organizations suffering adverse financial impacts of the disaster (with or without property loss), up to $2,000,000 for working capital to help pay obligations until normal operations resume.
  • For additional assistance, SBA has established a Business Recovery Center on Belle Terre at the River Region Chamber of Commerce that is open Monday-Wednesday. You can also contact an SBA customer service representative via email at or by phone at 800-659-2955. You can apply online at

Temporary Housing

  • The State set up the Hurricane Ida Sheltering Program to help assist Hurricane Ida survivors with direct and non-congregate sheltering in areas such as St. John.
  • This program is being run by the State and you must apply for this program separately from FEMA. To do so, please visit or call (844) 268-0301.
  • Already registered? Check your status by viewing your registration at If your registration is incomplete, answer all information. Please make sure to complete the following:

Release of Information (ROI),

Right of Entry (ROE); and provide a copy of your government issued identification.

  • If you have any questions, please reach out to a Program Team Member by calling 1-844-268-0301 or 1-844-458-1806 for talk to text (TTY).
  • Residents are encouraged to also apply for FEMA at

Long Term Recovery Group

  • St. John Parish recently activated the Long Term Recovery Group to assist residents with unmet needs due to Hurricane Ida.
  • The Long Term Recovery group consists of government, faith-based, non-profit, state, and federal organizations, and other agencies whose goal is to assist individuals and families as they recover from a disaster.
  • If you are a homeowner and are uninsured, underinsured, or need assistance due to Hurricane Ida, please call the St John Volunteer Reception Center (VRC) at 985-703-8411.  Elderly Assistance
  • Elderly residents who may need assistance can continue to call our Department of Health & Human Services office at 985-536-4955 during business hours.Disaster Distress Helpline
  • If you’re looking for ways to cope with stress or anxiety, there are free resources available through the Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990.Permits
  • Permit fees for repairs and renovations due to hurricane damage have been waived however a permit may still be needed in some instances.
  • Building permits are not needed for Shingles, Sheetrock, Cabinetry, Flooring, Fencing, Doors, Siding, Trim and Painting.
  • Permits are only needed when structural repairs are made to the framing, roof, or electrical components of the house.
  • If you have any questions or would like to make an appointment, please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 985-651-5565.Safe Reconnect
  • If you sustained damage to your home or business electrical and/or gas systems and the utility was not able to reconnect service, please contact Planning & Zoning at Email or call 985-651-5565 so someone in this department can work with you on reconnection.

Stay Connected:

  • For text alerts, text SJPWEATHER to 888-77
  • Parish website:
  • Parish social media: Facebook, Instagram & Twitter
  • Government Access Channel (15/99)